BUT - on the other other side of things, I know many children who have been trained well before they're 2 years old and many who have been fully trained shortly after turning 2...and there are websites & articles out there that even talk about infant potty training (to me that's a YEAH RIGHT) but hey what do I know!?!
Before jumping in & telling me what you think, here's my personal experience (which is pretty limited considering Alexa is only 13 months old!)
Many observers of my little girl tell me that she's getting ready to be trained -- based off of what they see only. After all, she can says many words but she usually doesn't make too much sense & she certainly isn't using full sentences or anything so its not like we're hearing "I have to go potty!" from her sweet little mouth!
Instead, she's been doing this little form of a potty dance, bending over and holding the front of her diaper whenever she's going potty. As for going #2 -- lets just say she's ALWAYS been obvious about that one -- she typically stops what she's doing, scrunches her face all up & grunts as she starts to turn pink or red in the face! So a month or so ago (shortly before she turned 1) we went out & bought a potty chair so she could begin to grasp the concept & at least get used to the idea of sitting in the chair. She LOVES it -- at least she loves playing with it! She has always been one to want to follow anyone into the bathroom to see what they're up to & she thinks its so funny to listen to the noises & hear the toliet flush and now being able to sit on her own potty is tons of fun to her... so she's at least intersested in the idea!
But here's the kicker- - every now & then -- the child will take her diaper off! -- and I mean OFF. If we change her out of her clothes and don't immediately put her pj's on she'll get up & run around & play in just her diaper -- pretty normal I know -- but then she decides she's had enough of the diaper & wants it off -- so she takes it off with relative ease, throws it down & walks off free as a bird! Again, we find this cute and funny as after all, its in the privacy of our home & can't really hurt.
Then on Sunday night we're all just standing around after church talking and she's just off playing like the rest of the kids. I look over at her & notice she's playing with her tummy -- and taking her diaper OFF! -- Silly girl! So I race over & strap it back on telling her "No, No, we don't do that" trying all the while not to laugh!
I have no idea if or when my little girl will ever learn to use the potty instead of a diaper but I know this -- any outfit that doesn't come with bloomers or shorts is SO not going on my child without adult supervision nearby! Next thing you know she'll be trying to go naked everywhere!
I have no idea if or when my little girl will ever learn to use the potty instead of a diaper but I know this -- any outfit that doesn't come with bloomers or shorts is SO not going on my child without adult supervision nearby! Next thing you know she'll be trying to go naked everywhere!
No comments:
Post a Comment